Thursday, March 13, 2008

Fixing Vista


Love my laptop (pictured on my messy desk) but I hate Vista. I don't hate every about Vista but I do hate just about everything about Vista. The Areo theme is the only saving grace.

I have Vista on my desktop and my laptop and they both have the same problems. The most irritating problems is they take forever to boot and shut down. I get a black screen for one minute after I log in and before I get to my desktop. The computers have 2 gig of ram and a dual core processor so they should be plenty fast (just a slight off topic rant- It would cost me $120 to upgrade to the 64 bit version of Vista. OUCH Microsoft!!). I also have several programs that are not that old and you thing would work in Vista but do not. I have also seen the blue screen of death several times.

I finally got sick of the slow boot time so I did some searching and found this blog. I am sure security experts freak out when they see blogs like this, but since I have Zone Alarm security suite I thought I would try disabling UAC (User Account Control). I do not recommend that you do the same on your computer, I did it because I was at my wits end with the sluggishness of Vista. I have also taken the added precautions of an after market anti virus, anti spyware and firewall (Zone Alarm) and this is not company computer and I do not have any financial info on it. I also boot into Linux when I do anything financial.

Just a note, I did a lot of comparing and Zone Alarm was the most recommended security suite and it was cheaper than most other security suites.

When Microsoft designed Vista did they consider just how aggravating the pop up dialog boxes are that ask you if you really want to run this program or do you really want to install this program. The irritation factor does not really seam worth the trade off. I would thin a good firewall, anti-virus and spyware program would do a better job than UAC with less computing overhead.

I upgraded to the double battery when I ordered the laptop and it is worth it. I travel from time to time for my work and I hate laptops with two hour battery life. You have to make sure your battery is fully charged before you get on the plane or you are libel to run lout of juice in the middle of a movie or worse yet, working on a Word doc or PowerPoint presentation. The larger battery is great, I don't have to hunt for an outlet at the airport, which can be a huge pain because because most of them are already taken. I think it is crazy to see people in suits sitting on the airport floor because that is where the only unused electrical outlet is located and they need to plug in their laptop, Palm pilot and cell phone.

I have no complaints about this laptop once I have fixed the Vista problems. It is the perfect size for traveling, it is small enough to tote around yet the screen is good sized. The DVD writer and litescribe work great. It is good deal for the money.

My only issue I had was trying to get Linux to work with my Intel video card and I have just installed Ubuntu "hardy heron" and all of that good Compiz eye candy works perfectly. You can check out my Linux adventures here.

No comments: